We made a cute little side table for the garden from a block of wood. We meant to make a seat for the kids room but the kid grew before we had time so we adapted the plan accordingly. The block was very roughly cut with a chain saw and still had the bark on. It had dried already so removing the bark was a bit tricky but definitely worth it.
If you’re going to use the side table indoors you can use regular furniture paint but for outdoors choose an exterior paint.
- A block of wood
- Chisels, approx. 15 mm wide for removing the bark and 6 mm wide for finishing
- A saw and sander if needed
- A paint brush
- Painter’s tape
- Remove the bark with the help of the wider chisel. When you have removed most of it, finish the surface with the narrower chisel and sandpaper.
- If the block has been cut with a chain saw and the surface is very uneven first saw it more level and use a sander to get it smoother. A rougher look is great for a piece like this so you don’t have to get it totally smooth.
- Brush off all the sanding dust and wipe clean with a damp cloth. Let dry.
- Use painter’s tape to cover the upper edge of the block. Paint the “table top” with your chosen color.
- When the first coat has dried, sand it lightly. Wipe clean and paint a second coat if needed.
- Once the paint is completely dried use painter’s tape to line the area you want to paint with another color. Paint and remove the tape immediately after painting.
- Let the paint dry and remove the rest of the tape. You have a cute side table!